Monday, November 16, 2009

Presentations: Digital Artifact #2

Class presentations

Last week we presented our digital artifacts to the class. There were some terrific ideas put forward, in various stages of resolution, and it's amazing how such a wide variety of concepts came from a single prompt. If so many ideas could emerge from a class of twenty students or so, it's pretty staggering how many ideas must be percolating with all the nonprofits, corporations, volunteer organizations, and individuals out there trying to make a difference. Maybe we do have a shot at making the world a better place...

Like last time, I thought I would post a few screenshots and an overview of my process. I had a really good time putting together this artifact, and I'm looking forward to making further progress soon.

Here's the splash page:



...and setting the scene:



...and a map of places to go (this one's my favorite):



I started with line drawings, which I scanned into the computer:



...then I used Illustrator to clean up the lines and add color:



Next steps

Before the big presentation in December, there are plenty of things I could do to beef up my artifact. Practically speaking, here are some steps I could probably take between now and the presentation:

1. Interface wireframes: I talked about game examples for the different animals; to make this idea even clearer, I'd like to sketch out a basic drawing of what I had in mind. Nothing too detailed, just something to bring the ideas to life a bit more.

2. Flash functionality: I've been meaning to brush up on some Flash, and this seems like a good opportunity. Although I don't want to create a fully-functional game at this point (I'd like to leave room for growth before setting things in stone), it may be helpful to show some active examples of how the game would operate.

3. Web structure: In order to make my game accessible to the public, it will eventually need to be presented on a webpage. I'd like to go ahead and build the structure of the page (and add some additional information for people who have never seen it before).

4. Other stuff: Some ideas I've been tossing around...it would be cool to prepare some family-friendly printouts that might come with the game, or some printed color screenshots to give the presentation some added flare. At some point, I'd also like to show a demo to a child psychologist here at Stanford and get some feedback / suggestions from somebody who knows a lot about this issue.

1 comment:

  1. --
    Hi,

    You are receiving this email based on the value I feel your website and the services you offer from your website holds. As the Chief Editor for Counselor.org I continually strive to find the best resources I feel are relevant to what we offer (FREE information), and make sure these resources are available to my users as well. I would like to commend you for the work you have put into your website and offer you the possibility of being included as a Featured Resource on Counselor.org. Please understand this is done for two reasons: First and Foremost I feel your website would offer an excellent service to my viewing public and would be a great addition to what is commonly considered one of the larger counseling informational databases online. Secondly, I see a ton of value in your website and would be pleased to have some exposure on your website as well. Please understand this offer is not given to many and will not be revisited in the future. I have included our Counseling Network Resources for your review, I can send the code to you at your request. Please reply with your relevant "Link" information and site description, as always I welcome all questions or thoughts, Thank you for the time it has taken to read this.

    Visual Example of Counseling Resources:

    Counseling Resources: Counselor | Counselor Information | Famous Counselors | Counseling | Disorder | Stress Disorder | Depression | Crisis | Relationship Counseling | Anxiety | Suicide Prevention | Phobia |

    Thank you,
    Samantha Burner
    Editor.
    counselor.org

    ReplyDelete